Good to Great

edited February 2013 in Awesome Books
I'm currently reading [i]Good to Great[/i]. I didn't intend to read this book as an investment book. However, this book provides valuable insight into what type of management differentiates a good company from a great company. I'm early into the book so I'm sure there is much more I could point out but I just wanted to mention this for the benefit of the forum readers.

Comments

• Rambo, I couldn't agree more with this recommendation. Although the book is a few years old, it really has some fantastic guidance. This might be one of the highest selling business books within the last 20 years, and for good reason. Although there's some ironic companies mentioned in the book as "Great" companies, like Fannie Mae and Circuit City, both of which have since failed since the writing of the book, I still believe the guidance Collin's provides in the book is outstanding. Others may disagree, but I think you'll find the hype behind this book is well warranted. I would definitely give it 5 stars like the thousand other people on Amazon. Here's the link to the book if anyone want's to do more research on it: [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=aps&keywords=Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap...And Others Don't&linkCode=ur2&tag=pypull-20&linkId=P56XO4VELCRXR2HW]http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_ ... VELCRXR2HW[/url] -Preston
  • Agreed, while a little outdated, a must read for everyone in any type of business. The concepts are very relevant.
  • Just giving this a +1 - I listened to the audio book a couple of times, and it has some fantastic concepts.
  • Good to Great was not my first business book but it has since been one of my favorites. Since I read it, I've been hearing some people call it out for being wrong or too "top 10 tips"-esque.

I think it's always smart to acknowledge that this advice could be wrong and that it's not Gospel truth. Having said that, there's a lot of potential benefit to taking some of this advice because this was as thorough and rigorous a scientific process as you can get for something like this. Anything from Jim Collins is a must buy for me now.
  • Thanks for sharing. I'll add this to my list of to-read books.